Fresh Patch / Bell Training

Bonita'sMom

Hello everyone,

I am very new here but thought I could provide some helpful potty training techniques. Bonita was fully housebroken at 6 months. She is bell trained and uses the Fresh Patch.

If anyone is interested please reply. I'll be glad to help.

Jessica

Scout's Mom

How do you like the Fresh Patch and how often do you have to replace the grass? I considered it as back up for Scout (she is also bell trained) but wasn't sure. I have wee wee pads but don't put them down much because she rips them up.

Bonita'sMom

I absolutely love it. Would change it for anything. I am on the reoccurring order for every other week. But that time, its ready to be changed. She uses it 100% unless she happens to want to pee on our walk.

We keep it on our balcony with the bell attached to the door handle. This keeps her clean during our harsh winters in Minnesota and the grass stays green and best of all I smell no pee.

Jessica

Bonita'sMom

This is our set up right outside the balcony door. This patch was delivered last Friday.

PS: The temp outside is 16F.

Jessica

post-59590-0-71971800-1389980231_thumb.j

I think Fresh Patch is awesome, but with the number of dogs we have we'd be replacing the patch twice a week. And kudos on the bell training! I tried it with our first Shih Tzu, who unfortunately is the smartest dog I've ever owned. He quickly figured out that if he rang the bell and then went out to do ANYTHING (say, hike the leg and leave 2 drops) he'd get a treat when he came back in. Need I say that bell was ringing constantly? I started NOT giving the treat and he stopped ringing the bell, lol. After that, I didn't try it again.

• Like 1
Bonita'sMom

Thats cute. My balcony is enclosed and its freezing out. Bonita rings the bell, pees lightning fast and comes running in. Its actually quite funny. Sad thing is that I rarely give Bonita treats apart from the post grooming treat. I learned the very hard way that if I over treat her, she"ll starve herself in the hope of more treats.

Love your pic, I hope Bonita's hair grows to be that beautiful.

Jessica

Scout's Mom

That is funny! I don't give Scout treats for going potty either, she would be ringing the bell every 5 minutes too! :D

Thats cute. My balcony is enclosed and its freezing out. Bonita rings the bell, pees lightning fast and comes running in. Its actually quite funny. Sad thing is that I rarely give Bonita treats apart from the post grooming treat. I learned the very hard way that if I over treat her, she"ll starve herself in the hope of more treats.

Love your pic, I hope Bonita's hair grows to be that beautiful.

Jessica

My dogs would eat until they exploded if I didn't contain them, lol. I could probably feed one an entire box of treats and s/he wouldn't miss a beat at the next mealtime.

I think Drake was about 8 months old in that pic. It's one of my faves. :)