Housetraining Question

babnaw

My doggy (11 weeks old) totally gets how to go pee and poop outside on the grass and I have no issues getting him to go regularly outside, but he doesn't seem to get that he shouldn't go in the house. I've only had him for a week, so I know it takes time, but how do you let a dog know that he shouldn't go in the house? My kids and I are bringing him out every 1-1.5 hrs., but sometimes he will go pee and poop outside and then pee again in the house 20 mins. later or sometimes even less.

Curvygurl73

http://www.chattertzu.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21272&p=252044

I don't know if that link will work or not, but it's to a post I did a few days ago on much the same thing. Except that mine are 16 weeks and I've had them for almost 2 months! Our chosen breed are VERY STUBBORN!!! the other ladies here lament with me in that thread!

Hang in there....I believe they will eventually get it, but some take a very long LONG time.

Pawz4me

An hour to an hour and a half is IMO way too long to go between taking a very young, small breed puppy outside.

When housetraining a pup (even medium/large breeds pups who can typically hold it longer than a smaller breed), I try to take them out every thirty minutes when they're not in their crate. Yes, it's a big pain. But thankfully it's not too long until you can lengthen the time between potty breaks.

As you've found out, sometimes even every thirty minutes won't be enough for a very young puppy. That's one reason I decided to train Yogi to wee wee pads.

At that age they're really very much like human babies that are just a few weeks old. You can't really expect them to have much bladder control until they're around sixteen weeks (four months) old. Some puppies get some control before then, but it's not unusual if they don't have much control until around that age. The most you can really hope to do for a few more weeks is minimize accidents in the house by helping him be as successful as possible in going wherever you want him to (whether that's by taking him outside more frequently or by using a pad, or some of both). Continued success is what makes them eventually understand where you want them to go.

Edited by Pawz4me
babnaw

Thanks Curvy and Pawz. I checked out the other thread and I will be more diligent about taking him out even more often because it might just be that he can't hold it for even an hour yet when he's awake and active. I remember it only taking a couple weeks to potty train my previous dog, but he was a beagle and maybe could hold it longer. I am glad that he at least goes really quickly when I do bring him outside (usually). There were times with my beagle that I would be outside for 15 mins. in the pouring rain repeating, "Go pee, go pee." Mr. T. usually goes within 30 seconds of me bringing him outside. I don't want to use wee pads. I would if I was in a condo or apartment, but it's only a 15-30 second trip tops to get outside and I don't want him learning to go in the house at all if I can avoid it. I'll just be more diligent and patient until he's older and has more bladder control :)