How long do you crate?

Parker14

Both of my pups sleep in their crates at night with no problems, but not sure what to do during the day. I have an area downstairs sectioned off, but after watching them on video, my older pup spends most of the time barking or trying to get out while Parker tries to sleep. I am wondering in just crating them while out would be better. I feel Lexi would settle down easier with less space to move around, but I'm not sure. Do any of you crate your pups while out, and how long do you leave them? I don't work, so we are usually not gone for too long. Parker is only 3 months old so I don't plan on leaving them for long right now anyway.

Marlen

Misha doesn't get crated, he does best outside of the crate ;) Plus, I can trust him 1000%. Luca spends his time mostly inside the crate. Usually 3-4 hours and then he gets out to play, potty etc He's left out for an hour or so and then back inside ;) He settles down easily plus, he's still young and gets tired quickly :D

Parker14

So just now I set up the video camera with them in their crates while I picked my son up from school. Both pups just laid down and went to sleep. Lexi may have barked for a few minutes, but usually she will bark like crazy when in the large area downstairs. I think I may have to just leave them in the crates while out, even though I always feel bad leaving them confined like that, but I think it is best for them. I think Lexi feels more secure in the crate while I'm gone than she does with a lot of space.

• Like 2

Ours are crated when no one is home (or if I'm mopping the kitchen floor, lol). This can be up to 10 hours on days I work. Everyone's OK.

• Like 2
Parker14

Wow, 10 hours. That makes me feel better. I plan to start working in the next couple years when my son starts school full time, so I will eventually have to leave them for longer so that makes me feel a lot better. I honestly think Lexi is more stressed out with more space than she is in the crate. I always just hear people say how wrong it is to crate a dog and I feel guilty doing it, but I have to do what's best for everyone.

Missysmom

We crate Missy while we're out, so far it's been up to 6-7 hours for the longest and she's fine and Very happy to see us when we get back! We feel bad too but think it's best and she's much calmer. We always leave her a Kong with a treat in it, makes us all feel better I think! ;)

Parker14

Thanks for everyone making me feel better about my decision to crate. I truly believe Lexi and Parker are happier left in their crate. If they both looked happy and content in the large area downstairs I would definitely do it, but Lexi especially seems more stressed out. Now I'm just mad we put so much time and money into the area we made for them and now it's not going to be used, lol.

I don't even feel guilty after so many years, mostly because I firmly believe that an unsupervised dog will do one of two things: sleep, or get into some kind of trouble. Our dogs are in very large pens or crates with bed, toys and water bottle so they can move around as they please.

• Like 3
babnaw

I originally crated Mr. T at night only and now he's so reliable in the house that I don't crate him at all. I don't think crates are mean at all as long as they aren't crated for too long and especially if they seem calmer and happier in the crate which it seems to be the case with your two doggies. My guy pitched a fit no matter how lovely I made the crate seem, so once he was reliable I stopped crating him. I work from home so I have the luxury of taking him outside every 2 hrs. or so to pee and I'm usually not gone for more than a couple hours if I run errands like groceries or such, so I just bring him out to pee before I leave and he's fine until I get back having free run of the upstairs. With my Foxy dog I gave him free run of the house because he was very trustworthy, but a few years ago my one kitty took to attacking my poor dog once every few months, so I started putting him in my room when I left and he would hold it for 8-9 hrs. just fine in my bedroom if I was going on a daytrip somewhere. I don't know what I'd do with Mr. T if I had to take a full day trip as he hates the crate and I wouldn't trust him all day to be alone, so I guess I just won't do any daytrips until he's 100% reliable in the house for a full day.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Crated for up to 10 hours....do you have a pee pad in the crate or ?? This is someyhing I am going to have to start thinking about, Pam. I am not sure if I should get a really large crate or just what. And how will this interfere with house training?

Ours are crated when no one is home (or if I'm mopping the kitchen floor, lol). This can be up to 10 hours on days I work. Everyone's OK.

Sheesh, trying to post with my iPod is nuts!!

• Like 1

As adults, my dogs have been crated for 10 hours many times. They don't have potty pads in their crates either and have never soiled their beds.

Young dogs might mess in their crates as they can't hold it that long.

My "puppies" share a large crate when I'm not home or doing something they don't need to be in the middle of, but they do have access from their crate to the doggie door which leads to the SunRoom and then the outside.

Works well for me!

Vicki

In the past my Tzus were crated 9-10 a day on some days since I work FT, but the kids were typically home before me, so the average was 7-8 hours a day. We seldom had an issue...as in maybe 2-3 times a year. Now that I am looking for a tzu again, I am thinking another adult and/or mostly house trained is the way to go since crating is the only option when we're not home. I don't have a doggy door & with these steel doors and harsh midwest winters, it's not an option. I was thinking maybe one of those really big crates & having a "potty area" off to one side.

Anyone have an issue with separation anxiety with just one? My friend's tzu has a really hard problem being home alone in the crate for even 3-4 hours. She lucky & lives about 1/4 mile from work, so she runs home every day @ lunch time to take her out, love on her, have lunch & then comes back to work. She said the separation anxiety was not an issue until her furbaby was about 2 years old. If she leaves her for much longer than 3-4 hours, she'll come home to icky, runny poo everywhere...EVERYWHERE in the kennel and all over her dog. What's that about??

Bosco is crated while DH and I are at work for about 8-9 hours and only one accident since we had him. He actually loves his cave especially when ww are not home. Though I trust him mostly in the house because we have to pee pad bathrooms set up for him, for some reason, if he gets into our dining room he will poop and ocassionally pee. Right now is is blocked from that room and the formal living room, but the minute someone leaves the gate open, an gift is left in the same place in the dining room.

• Like 2

Bosco is crated while DH and I are at work for about 8-9 hours and only one accident since we had him. He actually loves his cave especially when ww are not home. Though I trust him mostly in the house because we have to pee pad bathrooms set up for him, for some reason, if he gets into our dining room he will poop and ocassionally pee. Right now is is blocked from that room and the formal living room, but the minute someone leaves the gate open, an gift is left in the same place in the dining room.

They sure can be little "Shih T..s" at times. Makes you wonder what's really running through their minds.

Vicki

• Like 3

I'm surprised that it is considered ok to crate a dog for 8-10 hours, that's like a whole day! Isn't the whole argument against pet stores (well...amongst other bad things) is that they crate dogs for long periods of time? Many stores in manhattan actually have a play area visible to shoppers, and they rotate the dogs to run around in the play area every 4 hours.

In some ways, i wish I had crated Lucey (crate-trained)... she just wants to be with us ALL the time now, can't stay away for more than 3ft! lol

And when we are not in the house for more than 3-4 hrs, she would create trouble. But i had always thought it's cruel to confine them for more than 3-4 hours.

As Pam said and from what I learned about crating, it is good for them because it is a cave effect and they just lay there. The difference from us crating and a pet store is that they are in there for probably more than 8-10 hours and they are allowed to potty in their cage. Not to mention they get no real love when and if they are let out, like we do when we get home.

• Like 3

Also, this is most likely not every single day as most work 5 days a week and this would not be okay for puppies since they can not hold it for that long.

If my house were to catch on fire, whether I'm there or not, I would want the Firemen to quickly be able to rescue my babies.

If they weren't crated, no telling where they'd be hiding.

I'd hate to think of the outcome with them hiding.

At least crated, they have a chance of being rescued.

Vicki

• Like 6

If my house were to catch on fire, whether I'm there or not, I would want the Firemen to quickly be able to rescue my babies.

If they weren't crated, no telling where they'd be hiding.

I'd hate to think of the outcome with them hiding.

At least crated, they have a chance of being rescued.

Vicki

Very good point, Vicki

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
VanSwssAlmd

Hello! In response to your question..I only crate little Gizmo when I'm at work or when I'm not at home. Unfortunately that is about 8-9 hours per day during the week or when my son is home early from school and we might be able to cut that down to around 7 hours. When we get home he is out of the crate until the next morning when I go to work. My buddy sleeps in bed with me.

Like Debi, I too live in the midwest and a doggie door isn't an option. My little guy did have some separation anxiety when we were first crate training as I could hear him barking in the house when I left for work. This has since subsided. It lasted maybe a week or less.

I firmly believe in crates as it keeps the little ones out of trouble! However, I feel that if a person is going to crate during the day that the dog shouldn't have to sleep in his kennel too. But that's my opinion! :D

• Like 3

Crated for up to 10 hours....do you have a pee pad in the crate or ?? This is someyhing I am going to have to start thinking about, Pam. I am not sure if I should get a really large crate or just what. And how will this interfere with house training?

Sheesh, trying to post with my iPod is nuts!!

All of our pens and crates have epoxy 1" grid floors that are a few inches off a slide-out pan: I put a pee pad (two if needed) in the pan. The dog also has a bed and/or blanket (some will urinate on one or the other...I have never quite figured that out) along with toys and water. If they absolutely HAVE to go, they step onto the grid, eliminate and go back to comfy spot. Urine and feces fall through the grid and I clean the crate by pulling-out the pan, rolling-up/folding the pee pad, cleaning the pan and replacing the pad/s. I check them a couple of times daily and clean as needed. We get 100 24" square pads by automatic shipment every 6 weeks, which is about what we use in 6 weeks.

I should add that when we are home the dogs are out. They can't all be out together for a number of reasons, but on days I don't work most of them are out most of the day.

There is a thread about the apartment and some of the ideas that owners have tried with pictures.