Asking to go out all day long!

Summerangel

Me again...:) lol

My two have learnt to sit at the back door to and ask to go out. Now Lacey mostly scratches but will give a gently oof as I call it, it's not quite a woof...

And Donte will oof to ask to go out.

On lots of occasions now, Lacey is asking to go out more frequently now. When I let her out I can see she would rather play, try and get in the fish pond for a drink, play with Donte, just for a mooch around the garden, bark at the birds, bark at their own shadow, something else's shadow, or just bark! Lol

Now I wouldn't mind but it's so wet and cold outside and they keep coming in like drowned rats. ( don't worry they haven't been in the pond)

They seem like that are spending more time wet than dry.. If this is the case I'll have to get their hair trimmed pretty soon, as I'm running out of towels to dry them on.

And I was trying to keep Dontes little op area dry. It's 11 days so I'm thinking that should be ok now.

I'm unsure of what to do as if I don't let her out and she needs the toilet she will then go in here and I would rather she didn't. But I also don't want her asking every few minutes..

Any words of advice would be gratefully received...

What do you guys do that have more than one dog?

• Like 3
Summerangel

I've just let them out 10 minutes ago and they both went for a wee, 10 minutes later she asking to go out...so I told her she's been out, done a wee and she's not going for a while.

I don't know how much of that she understood, if anything. But she's now laying by my feet asleep....

• Like 5

Sounds like they've figured out how to wrap you around their little paws! Sorry!

Tuff Love is probably the best way to go particularly if you know then don't really need out since you saw the go shortly before.

Maybe try distracting them with something fun to do inside? Toys, treats, loving???

All five of mine hate to go outside when it's wet and particularly when it's raining.

Ebony and Panda now feel that the "doggie door" is for the Puppies and NOT them (or that they're just too good to go out in the puppies area). They will just "put the brakes on" at the other door. Sometimes I just have to insist or actually push them out. If it's really raining hard, sometimes they just go on the two steps down to the backyard where the eves of the house keep the steps somewhat dry.

Sorry I'm not of much help.

Vicki

• Like 5
Summerangel

Sounds like they've figured out how to wrap you around their little paws! Sorry!

Tuff Love is probably the best way to go particularly if you know then don't really need out since you saw the go shortly before.

Maybe try distracting them with something fun to do inside? Toys, treats, loving???

All five of mine hate to go outside when it's wet and particularly when it's raining.

Ebony and Panda now feel that the "doggie door" is for the Puppies and NOT them (or that they're just too good to go out in the puppies area). They will just "put the brakes on" at the other door. Sometimes I just have to insist or actually push them out. If it's really raining hard, sometimes they just go on the two steps down to the backyard where the eves of the house keep the steps somewhat dry.

Sorry I'm not of much help.

Vicki

Haha ;) do you know, I'm sure you're right :)

I haven't rushed to let them out today. Although I am keeping a mental note of when they last went to the toilet and I'm making a judgement as to when I think they might need to go, but I'm trying to time their toileting at the same time they are still asking to go.

There is a small part of the lawn that gets slightly waterlogged when we have a lot of rain or heavy rain. The water just sits on the top... What did my two do... Go paddling in it ;) lol

You've been a great help, thank you :)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Curvygurl73

I just now saw this Julia, but it cracked me up!!! My two do the exact same thing!! And I loved your description of Lacey and her distractability!! Oh heavens....Freya is the same way!! lol "looking for my potty spot...OH, A LEAF!! looking for my potty spot....OH, I heard something across the road!! looking for my potty spot....OH, a bird i must bark at!! looking for my potty spot....."

...and on it goes!! lovely little darlings!

I also enjoyed the fact that your two go out and get soaked...let me guess, I bet that HATE baths though? :D

• Like 6
Summerangel

Freya and Lacey must be swapping notes ;)

Oh my, they are so similar in lots of ways ;)

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

I have noticed since Gizmo learned to scratch at the door when he wants out that there are times when he will do it like every 10 minutes for like a half hour. It just happened. Giz scratched at the door..I bundled up and we went out. He farted around for a few min, then peed. We stayed out a bit longer to see if he had to number two. Nothing. So we went back in. Not 10 or 15 min later he's scratching on the door again. So I bundled up again..its like 20 out here. He farted around some more..then peed again (I know they say often times a male dog will need to urinate 2x to fully empty their bladders). This time we stayed out longer..all the while me saying "Go potty". He finally did a little poop and we came back in.

He is sooooo heavily distracted by EVERYTHING when he's out. A plane flew over head while we were out and he refused to move until it passed and he couldn't see it anymore.

In my opinion..his pipes are empty, so to speak. If he asks to go out again, I'll tell him no...for at least a few hours anyway. Distract him or whatever to get him away from the door.

• Like 3