Snickers

Marlene

Looks like I'm going to foster Snickers.....until we leave for the Oregon coast April 1.

Snickers has cataracts and was owned by a senior with Parkinsons. No longer able to care for him, he

was surrendered to a rescue I work with.

Peace of Mind Dog Rescue works with seniors who pass away, go into nursing homes or can no longer physically or financially care for their dogs.

They also pull seniors dumped in shelters.

http://www.peaceofminddogrescue.org/index.php

Snickers has cataracts and now glaucoma and will need to have his eyes removed.

We have been through that with our Boxer Lulu. She was born with juvenile cataracts as well as many other genetic

abnormalities including extreme arthritis in malformed joints.

Lulu was a character and our first "foster failure". She had never known perfect sight so just motored on, seeing light and dark.

To make a long story short she came to us at less than a year old and lived with us another 11 years.

So.....we think we can comfort Snickers, help him to trust us to keep him safe and learn blindness won't keep him from having fun.

He will have yummy food, toys that make noise, walks all over the place and if he gets comfortable - some will let him run off leash.

He will have soft warm beds and a lap at his disposal most of the time.

Please welcome Snickers later this week :-)

post-62219-0-60800600-1420516222_thumb.j

• Like 10
PipsMom

Angels so walk the earth and you are certainly one of them. Snickers has found his angel and it warms my heart it's You.

• Like 7
mylittlefluffballs

Aww bless your kind heart, so happy for snickers to have such a warm loving home to go to, can't wait to see more piccies of him, he is lovely xx

Well done you :) xx

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2

How I admire your huge heart.

• Like 7
Jo-Anne

Marlene, you don`t have to say "please" welcome Snickers......can`t wait to see more. Thank you so much for giving him a fur ever loving home where he will

be safe.animaatjes-teddyberen-04287.gif you are an angel, just like Crystal said.

• Like 7
Pawz4me

Bless you for helping the old ones!

There used to be (maybe still is) a very good Yahoo group for people with blind dogs.

One of the best tips I know of is to scent different areas of your house using food flavoring (vanilla at the back door, lemon at the top of stairs, etc., etc.). Makes it easier for the dog to navigate safely.

• Like 6
missy dawn

you will truely be blessed for helping this baby!

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 6
Missysmom

Oh Marlene Snickers is such a doll baby, I just Love his pic!!! Bless you for rescuing Snickers and for working for such a wonderful group, you are an answer to prayer for so many. Can't wait to see and hear more about Snickers!!!

• Like 5

Bless you Marlene for caring so much. It's just wonderful you've decided to welcome Snickers into your loving home.

Without you, where would he be?

:hug:

Vicki

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

You are Snickers guardian angel........he will give you such rewards. Love his picture......be sure to post more as Snickers is now a part of the family here.

• Like 5
Marlene

Thank you for all the thank yous :signthankspin:

Snickers will be in my care as a foster - we're not adopting him.

His situation is so much like our Lulu's was......it just seemed he belonged here until he is adopted.

We spend most of the summer in Oregon (we live in CA) so he can stay with us until the end of March.

I DO belong to the Yahoo Blind Dogs group but never found much good info there. Most of the dogs there went "suddenly blind" and have a very hard time adapting.

Sinckers, like our Lulu has had very little sight for a long time so has learned how to navigate through a home.

I am told he listens for commands and warnings.....just like Lulu did. He will never be off leash but neither are our dogs, Shorty G and Sophie so it will just be one more little guy to take on walks.

Our experience with Lulu's enucleation surgery was that it was a piece of cake - no pain and she was ready to roll the first day. Hope Snickers does that well.

I'll pick him up on Saturday and will bore you to death with updates :D

• Like 7

I applaud what you are doing and pray that someone adopts Snickers before you go to Oregon.

• Like 5
babybluegirl

Thank you for all the thank yous :signthankspin:

Snickers will be in my care as a foster - we're not adopting him.

His situation is so much like our Lulu's was......it just seemed he belonged here until he is adopted.

We spend most of the summer in Oregon (we live in CA) so he can stay with us until the end of March.

I DO belong to the Yahoo Blind Dogs group but never found much good info there. Most of the dogs there went "suddenly blind" and have a very hard time adapting.

Sinckers, like our Lulu has had very little sight for a long time so has learned how to navigate through a home.

I am told he listens for commands and warnings.....just like Lulu did. He will never be off leash but neither are our dogs, Shorty G and Sophie so it will just be one more little guy to take on walks.

Our experience with Lulu's enucleation surgery was that it was a piece of cake - no pain and she was ready to roll the first day. Hope Snickers does that well.

I'll pick him up on Saturday and will bore you to death with updates :D

How's Snickers settling in? I believe you're picking him up today... Looking forward to seeing photos.

babybluegirl

11:36pm

• Like 2
Marlene

Snickers has been here for about 3 hours and things are going well.

When I put him in the back of my hatch back - he jumped on Shorty G's booster seat and rode all the way home.

Probably because it's a "small dog thing"? He wants to be as high as he can get? He couldn't see out the windows - LOL.

He reminds me a lot of our Lulu, blind Boxer we lost last summer after 11 years. He's stubborn, fearless and feisty like she was.

Snickers, Shorty and Sophie had a sniff fest for about 30 minutes and went back to their usual lolling.

Looks like he has already "claimed me" - when he's on my lap he doesn't want the others up there. That almost always happens

with new fosters. They find out who is in charge of food, who walks them, who snuggles them and want to keep me all to themselves. He

will have to get over it and I think he will. Shorty is the only dog I've ever had that has taken up "guarding me"....and I don't like it! He's fine with my husband and our other dog but has no use for other people or dogs :-(

Because he has bad eyesight all his life, cataracts and then glaucoma - he is accepting complete blindness better than a dog who see one day and then has detached retinaes the next and is completely blind.

He's faunky and I really want to bathe him but am supposed to wait until his stitches (from eye removal) are out. His ears are infected so we're treating that too.

He's a lot like Shorty was when I first got him........was a MESS and has been cleaned up some but needs a lot more.

For now I just want him to be able to find the open back door to go potty, where the water is, where he is fed and hopefully settle into a crate which has been re-decorated like a Sultans pad with lots of soft warm things to lay on and nest in and draped to keep the chill out.

I'd say so far so good but a foster dog is never "him/herself" for at least a week or two.

Thanks for remembering about his homecoming :-)

• Like 5
missy dawn

All i know to say is bless your heart, youre Heaven sent to him!

Sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
Missysmom

Ah I'm so glad Snickers is home and settling in well! Thanks so much for the update Marlene I was just thinking about his homecoming last night and am so glad it went well! Can't wait to see new pics of him, he's sooo cute! And Bless you for taking him in and caring for him, you are an Angel!

• Like 2
Marlene

Just found out something new about Snickers........he was rescued as a stray after Hurricane Katrina.

Things continue to go well. He is eating, finding his way to the open back door for potty and nonchalantly roaming

around the house.

Today will find just a tiny bit of tough love.

He cannot have me all to himself......he's guarding me from Sophie and Shorty when on my lap. We will start by removing him from said lap when he starts growling and snarling.

Next will be where he is going to sleep. Last night, his first night - I had his crate in the bedroom all fixed up soft, warm and snuggly. Shorty's crate is in there too. So I got into bed, left the light on (for me LOL) and watched him roam around. He investigated both crates but didn't stay. He found my "second plan" of an open soft bed on the floor but didn't lay down. What he DID do was hop up on the bed! He did it twice and I put him down twice. Because we live so close to neighbors I cannot have a dog "pitching a fit" (and he can bark, cry loudly!) So I picked him up and placed him on the bed :blush: where he didn't stir nor make a sound all night. We're not going to coninue with that so today will find more enticing into the crate with something yummy, closing the door for a few minutes and setting him up for success.

Mom is a mean, mean Mom! :o

• Like 3
Pawz4me

No, mom is a good foster. :) It will be a very good thing to be able to send him to his new forever home saying he'll sleep happily in his crate but he loves being on the bed with his person. ;)

• Like 5
Marlene

I know - that's what I am for :-) A dog who will happily crate but if they let him sleep in bed.....WOOHOO!

• Like 5
missy dawn

That's alright snickers....you probably feel like this.....

9ca7241e3ba7627bdd8243541b971802_zpsb56e

crystal,this is just to sweet! and I honestly think our babies feel this way.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 4