Wish me luck

Marlene

I had an email request yesterday to do a temporary foster while Cowboy's foster Mama travels in Europe for 3 1/2 months.  He's 5 yrs old, 14 pounds with some hair loss due to flea allergy.  A quick mention of resource guarding.  I approached the Big Guy and he (reluctantly) agreed to do it. 

Cowboy is in California - we are presently on the Oregon coast but will be back in CA the first of June.  That's when foster Mama is leaving so we'll get him and bring him back to Oregon with us when we return for JUL AUG SEP.

After agreeing to do it I find out he's just "off probation".  Seems he was adopted by an 85 year old lady with many years of owning Tzus.........he bit her......badly.  AC was called and he was taken back into rescue and placed in his present foster home.

So.....wish us luck and I'll update when he is actually with us in a few weeks.

Cowboy ~ pomdr foster.jpg

• Like 11
Crinkly

Goodness.

the thing is, it is just impossible to know what happened. :( But you know that.  You know that much better than I do.

bless you Marlene.  

Hug

• Like 6
PipsMom

Just look at that little face :throb:

Heaps of luck, can't wait to see how he works out, if anyone can do it it's certainly you

• Like 6
Marlene

He was given up by an older couple, taken to a shelter because they couldn't afford to treat his hair loss.  That's when rescue was contacted and he was taken in.

Because I have so much experience with Boxers I know that alopecia is not unusual especially in late winter/early spring.  Often low thyroid is the cause.  Low thyroid can also cause behavior issues like aggression.....so I have to wonder if it might be an issue.  At 14 pounds I'll have to see how chubby he is (Shorty is 11 pounds) - we all know low thyroid can cause weight gain (that's my personal reason  and I'm sticking to it!)

For you with so much more Shih Tzu experience than I have regarding health issues - is low thyroid common in Tzus?

• Like 8
Crinkly

*eavesdropping madly cos i am wondering if Cato has slightly low thyroid*

_ from my reading about Thyroid, it is relatively common in neutered males, esp if over 4 years.  Hair loss/condition, weight gain, sluggishness, sleeping a lot.  But really that is all I know. :( I was, of course, only really looking for info relevant to Cato.

• Like 7
PipsMom

I know nothing about low thyroid but I do know about hair loss due to flea allergys.

My very first rescue in Georgia was a mess when I took ownership of him.....With a little detective work I found he had food allergy triggers also, I got rid of the fleas and scabs and home cooked ....with time the hair grew back, thinner than usual but hair grew. ....Like yourself Marlene, your a good detective and I'm sure you'll find the reasons for his aggression and hair loss...that I'm sure of.

• Like 5
Crinkly

Mind you, flea bite allergy and constant raging itches might make me a bit irritable/aggressive... 

• Like 6
Marlene

Well........flea allergy is actually what he was treated for.  I think the medication was for"fungal" and an antibiotic.  I'm told his hair is growing back.  But skin issues are so complicated and weird I have to wonder if Thyroid might have complicated it.  I'm not really concerned about the hair skin issue (though I know what a pain they can be) but it sure would be nice to find a "treatable" reason for his aggression.  Also wonder if he was on pred.......as that can also cause aggression, big time.

Also this guy is on raw......fine with me but he eats only raw green tripe, also OK with me but getting it here on the Oregon coast is going to be hard (and expen$ive). It's a 2 hour trip to almost any direction to find a place with those kinds of specialties. I'm going to ask Europe jaunting foster Mom to send him with a supply of it.  (My bad?)

• Like 6
PipsMom

Did they give you any other back ground on him like what was happening at the time he bit his owner? Most odd that it would happen out the blue without cause pain or otherwise. I assume he's neutered too....my Pip is intact and testosterone fuelled and he can get highly peed off with me when I stop him from doing something and snap at me...but it's always a trigger point when he snaps like he's not fully aware of the moment, once corrected he goes back to his mushy loving ole self.

:judy:Jo, yes it would make me grumpy too

• Like 5
Marlene

At this point I don't know more than I've shared......but I'm going to ask to see the vet/Rx records of his treatment when he was pulled from the shelter...BEFORE he was adopted by the 85 yr old lady.  And yes, he is neutered - very few dogs ever come into rescue that aren't spayed/neutered immediately.

Foster Mom did say his resource guarding mostly has to do with food.....stealing other dogs food if he can get it.  She has a house full of extended family so people are walking, sitting around with food and she says that is not an issue for him.  She has 3 other tiny dogs in the home.  Also that if he is "helping with the dishes" hanging out in the dishwasher, he will bite if she tries to pull him away.  She says if she just closes it - he is fine with that.  The 85 yr old had no other people or dogs in her home.  Foster Mom feels Cowboy had no other dogs to "find his place in the pack" - he decided he was going to be ALPHA over the new adopter.  I dunno.....could be. 

He is demanding with toys.  Loves squeakies and will sit in front of her and bark incessantly until she throws it for him.......a form of dominance.  Neither of my dogs are dominant - each will always give up, give in to the other or to us.

• Like 6
PipsMom
15 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Also this guy is on raw......fine with me but he eats only raw green tripe, also OK with me but getting it here on the Oregon coast is going to be hard (and expen$ive). It's a 2 hour trip to almost any direction to find a place with those kinds of specialties. I'm going to ask Europe jaunting foster Mom to send him with a supply of it.  (My bad?)

Somehow I missed this paragraph.....You mean that's (All ) this dog gets, raw green tripe....nothing else?

His nutrition wouldn't be balanced if that's all he is being fed? Could the lack of improper nutrician and supplements cause behavior problems? 

• Like 6
Marlene

I have had that thought too.......he needs a more balanced diet.  I don't know if it's an old wive's tale that too much protein will cause aggresion in a dog........but.......

• Like 7
PipsMom

Yeah just reading up on it and they speak of magnesium, calcium and phosphorous lacking in tripe diet alone, it's not meant to be served just alone but with added greens or commercial kibble....This paw is like a Sherlock Holmes Novel.....lot of twists and turns to figure out how to solve the case ...lol

Also the source of the tripe, many animals are sent to slaughtered now with Antibodics, wormers and other chemicals in their blood stream, which gets passed onto our paws

• Like 5
Crinkly

If 'too much' protein causes aggression, then my two would be Psychotic - they are prey model raw fed - and two sweeter natured dogs you have yet to meet.  Tara is a bit rough with her teeth, but that is two reasons, she gets too over-excited bouncy cos it is FUN!!!, and we are playing with a toy and she thinks she is biting it, not us! 

Some of the raw ready frozen foods are tripe+ a whole host of lovely ingredients and are very balanced. You will know more when you hear what brand it is.  If it is just tripe, he will definitely be malnourished!

• Like 6
Summerangel

You have bucket loads of experience . If there's anyone capable of the job, it's you :cheezy:you're a star ?

• Like 7
Marlene

Actually I'm sort of glad I had the "Cujo" issues with Shorty G, found this forum and have learned a lot by asking for advice and reading about the problems of others.

This is the manufacturer - not sure which one Cowboy is eating........probably the first one.

http://www.greentripe.com/

• Like 6
Crinkly

If that (the first one) is all he is eating, then he needs other stuff too.  I hope it is just a topper on other food...

I would happily feed the tripe+organ meat and bone combos, but when they are eating RAW they really do need the bone - it is the equivalent of healthy veg fibre for us.  And organ meat is where the nutrition is.

Kibble and tinned meat have things added to provide that fibre to help their digestive tracts.  It is most obvious with Cato (Tara can eat ANYTHING and flourish) but Cato will enjoy meat and tripe, but he gets the squits unless he has bone daily.  Either ground in a frozen RAW  from here, or as a piece of meat and bone together.

We are actually moving more back towards the bought stuff (see link) because he doesn't chew enough bone.  I wonder if his jaws are a little weak.  Tara can crunch through anything, but he doesn't, and I don't think he gets the benefit of whole bones.  He doesn't have tooth problems, or gum, or anything, but he has a very weak bite.

Their poo (on the rawmeat+organs+veg+bone) is almost odourless, firm, light and healthy.  They have extracted ALL the nutrition - and they love it.

• Like 6
Missysmom

Just reading through this, wow! Wishing you the best with Cowboy Marlene, I agree if anyone can do this its you! Love his name and his pic! Can't wait to hear more once you get him!

• Like 7
Sophie's Haven

What an adorable fellow......love the name. All I can say he has found the right home to learn structure and a routine and with love and guidance you will turn him around. Bless you Marlene for your time and patience......the husband too. Keep us posted on how things go for the both of you............

• Like 7
Jo-Anne

Bring him overhere Marlene, I`ll never give him back :D Green tripe has a right amount of a lot of good stuff that is needed for a  balanced diet, but I wouldn`t give it every day. If my shepards would of eaten this every day for their dinner, ha ha ha I couldn`t get in the house nomore :dog: Two or three times a week that is my experience, is enough. It is also high in fat.

Good luck Marlene with cowboy!

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
ParadiseTzu

Just wanted to wish you the best with cute little Cowboy. I have the feeling there is a great dog just hidden under a slight layer of mis-management. I'm confident in you to figure it all out!

• Like 3
Marlene
2 hours ago, ParadiseTzu said:

Just wanted to wish you the best with cute little Cowboy. I have the feeling there is a great dog just hidden under a slight layer of mis-management. I'm confident in you to figure it all out!

he's here!

• Like 2