Toaster Ovens?

ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

Ok, I don't have a recipe but I do have a "kitchen" question. :P Ray has been on my butte for yrs. to buy a toaster oven. I told him I have and oven, broiler and a toaster I don't need one more appliance taking up space in the kitchen. Well...my neighbor is getting ready to have a HUGE rummage sale and she let us know some of the items she's selling, ofcourse she has a toaster oven thats like brand new, she's only used it twice. Ofcourse Ray jumped on it. So my questions are...how useful are they? What is good to put in them?

BusterBoo

I have always had a toaster oven and wouldn't do without it. Besides the obvious of making toast, I do use my toaster oven to heat up food/meat, or casserole dishes or things like egg rolls or other appetizers. I guess it can be used for anything your regular oven would be used for. It has come in handy during the heat wave because I don't have to turn on my big oven and end up heating the whole kitchen.

I don't like having a bunch of stuff on my counter but I do find that the toaster oven stays cleaner looking than a regular toaster (maybe because I am the one always cleaning :P )

ShihtzuBeauty

OH okay! :P I do have several different settings on this one, but she didn't give me a users manual so I wasn't sure what I could put in it. I didn't know how well it "cooked" things or heated them up. Maybe I'll see what brand it is and see if I can't find a manual here online. Thank you! :D

I also have a toaster oven and it's great for warming up small items and of course, toasting...I agree that it better than heating up the house with the regular oven.

I don't have a separate toaster...sounds like now you have to get rid of the toaster since that will be taking up more counter space.

Sunlite

Outside of toasting an occasional bagel (cause it doesn't fit in my old toaster) I never use mine, just collects dust and takes up room :P

ShihtzuBeauty

Yeah thats what I'm afraid of, I'm more of a conventional cooker. I'm gonna give it a whirl though. I'm sure he'll use it more than me. :P

Maddie619

We recently got a new toaster oven -- and it's really neat cause it is a toaster oven and tradition toaster all in one. The kids will have waffles and toast a lot in the mornings, so we'll use the regular toaster part. The oven part doesn't get used as much but comes in handy. The other night we used it for garlic cheese bread - saved us having to heat up the whole kitchen with the regular oven, and it doesn't require preheating. Its great for things like left over pizza too.

ShihtzuBeauty

We used it for toasting bread last night to go w/the sausage gravy I made. It worked really well I'm just going to have to play w/it.

sweet pea's mom

I love my toaster oven for reheating cornbread, muffins, rolls, etc that I keep in the refrigerator. I usually heat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to barely get them heated through, then I put them in the toaster oven to toast the outside on the medium "toast" setting. They're usually perfect. When I keep the leftover bread in the fridge, it doesn't get stale as quickly or moldy, but heating them up like that keeps me from having soggy bread like it would be from microwave alone, or bread that's toasty but cold in the middle like it would be from the toaster oven alone. :P

It's also good for heating leftover pizza after microwaving it a little first. I like to use it for baking rolls in the summer because it doesn't heat the house up as much as the regular oven! I've been so lazy (and busy) lately that my husband's glad if I use any kind of cooking equipment! :)

ShihtzuBeauty

Thanks for the suggestions, all I've used it for so far is making toast. :P

• 8 months later...

my hubby works nights and sometimes he likes to eat a burger when he gets home. He can broil a couple frozen patties in just 5 m inutes while he is getting rolls and stuff fixed and it doesn't spatter grease on my stove top. he will broil a steak too.

• 1 month later...
gogoblender

I dont own one but I'd love to!

Pizza and grilled cheese...so easy to make in these things.

Cept..they do get filled with crumbs awfully fast.

Ever tried to clean one of these things out?

:music_band:

gogo

Sunlite

Gogo! Hi, :happybday:

Yeah, they are awful to clean, probably why I refuse to use one. :music_band:

gogoblender

yup

Cleaning's a big thing when it comes to cooking.

Enter my soggy microwaved pizza

:chickendance:

gogo

Shih Tzus Mama

I love my toaster oven!

Give it a chance to win you over. Mine goes hand in hand with my microwave. We defrost in the micro and then crisp in the toaster oven. We use ours so much. I rather not turn the big oven on. Sure, they get dirty but so does your big oven. You just have to make sure you use foil in them to help keep them cleaner. Maybe some of you have self cleaning ovens but I don't have that luxury and hate the smell of oven cleaner fumes. My asthma can't take it. If my toaster oven get too dirty and uncleanable "time for a new one". They are not too expensive these days. My family could not live without one.

I guess it depends on what your needs are for cooking and enjoying your foods along with your lifestyle.

ShihtzuBeauty

Well ladies thats the Biggest problem I've had w/mine. I was Constantly cleaning it and Ray was the one who wanted it and hardly ever used it. Now it's in storage. :happybday:

Sunlite

Ah see, I do have a self cleaning oven. All I have to clean by hand are the racks otherwise I turn it on to clean, 2 hours later it's all a white ash and I just wipe it away. I love it!

Shih Tzus Mama

Self cleaning ovens are soooooooo great. I had one when I lived in an apartment for 4 years. I got spoiled real fast. Hated to leave it behind. My house did not come with one. Maybe one day, I'll have the luxury again. You are a "Lucky Duck Susan".

gogoblender

I love my toaster oven!

Give it a chance to win you over. Mine goes hand in hand with my microwave. We defrost in the micro and then crisp in the toaster oven. We use ours so much. I rather not turn the big oven on.

All so true!

I was once living with roomies and one of them had a cool toaster oven...I got so addicted to it!

lol...course it wasn't me that had to clean out the crumbs :debbi:

Your comment about how useful it is because you don't have to turn on the large oven is also a reflection of how easier on power these nifty little gadgets are.

Cold sandwiches boring you?

Hello Melts!

:happybday:

gogo

p.s. I"m curious...do you guys use your toaster oven to toast all your bread as well?

Or do you run

1-oven

2-toaster

3-toaster oven

all in the same kitchen?

Edited by gogoblender

I have been looking at one for awhile but it seems I can't get myself to buy it because I don't know if I will use it.

Tam

Edited by Tam

We use our and love it. I do have a self cleaning oven, and love it too. Best thing about my oven is the convection feature, now that is wonderful. Makes a 14 lb turkey in 45 minutes and it is delish.

Shih Tzus Mama

I have to confess I also have a Toaster which I use for toasting bread.

• 6 months later...

I have a toaster oven and can't imagine not ever having one lol...mine comes with a pullout tray that the crumbs usually fall to lol.

Here's a few great things i use my toaster oven for since it has a toast, broil, bake and reheat function

I actually do cook steaks in it in a broiling pan..they come out so juicy and tender! even made baked potatoes in it, great for toast since i'm a large family and can toast more then 2 slices at a time lol, bacon, reheating foods, my kids love to make bagel pizzas...they use the toaster oven for that, another great snack is taking tostilla shells filling them with salsa sauce and cheese and sticking it in the toaster oven on broil for 2-3 mins...man these are good! works great with the doritoes too :)
Since i have gotten the toaster oven i have rid myself the nasty toaster lol. there is a lot u can do with the toaster oven :coffee:

ShihtzuBeauty
sweet pea's mom

My toaster oven has a crumb tray that catches all the crumbs. If I can remember, I try to dump it as soon as I notice crumbs. They'll even rinse right off if you do it before you let them get baked onto it by using it after there's a bunch of crumbs there. My pet peeve is cleaning the refrigerator...wish those could somehow be self-cleaning!!! :aktion033: