Sally

ShihtzuBeauty

Hello. In one of your posts you mentioned making cookies for Chipper out of oats, apples, carrots and sweet potatoes. You said that Trudy liked them too? With JoJo's new allergy issue I want to really watch Everything that goes into his and the girls's mouths. Can you write down that recipe for me here? Thank you.

Here you go. You don't have to add the nuts, I put some walnuts in, not many. These are kind of moist when done. Trudy loves them.

1 whole cooked sweet potatoe all mashed up

3 bananas all mashed up

1 can of organic baby food

1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 cup of your choice of nuts (we used almonds and walnuts today)

3 cups of oats

Step 1. Mix ingredients

Step 2. Make little balls, smaller for little fids, bigger for big fids. Set them on a baking pan.

Step 3. Pop them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes.

ShihtzuBeauty

Ahh thank you soo much! I'm looking to clean up the rest of their diets. This will Really help!

ShihtzuBeauty

I just have to tell all of ya that my kids LOVE these cookies. I'm going to have to start making double batches. I gave some to my sisters Jack and she loved them too. Thanks again Sally.

Glad they like them! I think Sweet potatoes are so good for them. Trudy loves just plain old cooked sweet potato!

BusterBoo

I don't think sweet potatoes are that common in my area. I haven't seen them at the local grocery store but maybe if I went to a Fruit and Veggie store they might have them? Besides the regular potatoes, we occasionally get Yams, but mostly around Christmas.

Mom_to_Franklin

I just have to tell all of ya that my kids LOVE these cookies. I'm going to have to start making double batches.

..............I can send you my mailing address....... :D

ShihtzuBeauty

:lol: Honestly though they were soo easy to make and I just store them in an airtight container and they are keeping really well.

ShihtzuBeauty

Well I noticed today that the cookies that I made started to get some mold on them. I had them stored in an air-tight container. Maybe I should refrigerate them? I pitched these I'll make new ones this wknd.

Boy were the kids mad when I pitched them! I had to cut up a banana so they would leave me alone!

• 3 weeks later...
Shih Tzus Mama

Here you go. You don't have to add the nuts, I put some walnuts in, not many. These are kind of moist when done. Trudy loves them.

3 bananas all mashed up

3 cups of oats

Step 1. Mix ingredients

Step 2. Make little balls, smaller for little fids, bigger for big fids. Set them on a baking pan.

Step 3. Pop them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes.

This sounds good enough for me to eat. I'm sure my furkids will love them. I'll have to go shopping this weekend. What kind of organic baby food are you suggesting? I don't have a clue. Need your help on this one. Why do you put nuts in your cookies? Are they also good for dogs to eat?

ShihtzuBeauty

I just bought the Gerber in a jar organic but I didn't add the nuts. I tried keeping these in the cabinet in an airtight container but they went bad after a wk. so make sure you ziplock them and put them in the refridgerator.

• 3 weeks later...
ziggynemo

Because the homemade treats have no preservatives, they do tend to get moldy quicker. I keep some out for the boys and freeze the rest for later.

I'll have to try this recipe also. Sophie & Chloe love their treats. Thanks for sharing

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Sally' post='44755' date='Mar 1 2007, 03:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"]Here you go. You don't have to add the nuts, I put some walnuts in, not many. These are kind of moist when done. Trudy loves them. [/color]
3 bananas all mashed up
3 cups of oats

Step 1. Mix ingredients
Step 3. Pop them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes.[/quote]

Sally, I have to thank you for this recipe. Our dogs love them. The only thing I did different, was that since I made them for Christmas gifts for our dogs & other family dogs, I used a very small bone cookie cutter. I didn't think it would work at first, but with a little patience, I succeeded! I baked them a little longer to dry them out more for longer storage & so they weren't so fragile, seeing they were in bone shapes. The extras, I store in the freezer. Our nephews lab liked them so much, they asked for the recipe.

So again, :happybday: Sally!!!

Nancy

Oooh! Recipe looks great Sally. I'm gonna try making them this weekend. My fiance already thinks I'm a nut for making my tzu's homemade doggie chicken stew, now oatmeal cookies only for the dogs.. he'll be real jealous.

Ah, heck, just give the hubby one to try....My hubby did! LOL!! He said if I added a little sugar, you'd never know they were a doggie recipe!

emmasmom,
LOL! Did you use a bone shaped cookie cutter so your husband would know they weren't for him?

I sure did....he still wanted to taste test! He said he had to make sure they were good enough for Emma. This is the same guy who didn't really want a small dog! Yeah, right! LOL!!!

shihtzumomof2

I'm going to make these too. They sound great. I can't imagine that a human couldn't eat them also...its all peope food! Yum!

I just need to find something that Kylie likes better than her poo! I'm at my wits end with her and that poo stuff.

I'm lucky in that respect. Emma has never tried eating her poo! Thank goodness! But I can almost gaurantee they will love these cookies. In fact, I need to make more! Was going to start them now, but as I just posted on another area, Emma just got stung, so I want to keep a close eye on her for awhile! Our lab had to be rushed to the vet for this when a pup.

• 2 months later...
AmyNavy319

What flavor baby food do you use?

• 2 weeks later...
:chickendance: :chickendance: :giggle: :tapfingers5rg: Made some Shu cookies this morning,& wanted to ask if there is any difference between a yam & a sweet potato.SORRY Guys I,m a Limee at heart at really don't know much about this kind of potato,anyway I had to get a Yam as they didn't have Sweet Potatoes.Also are they supposed to be soft & chewy or crunchy.I,m not sure if I cooked them long enough.
It doesn't seem to bother the munchkins as they devoured one as soon as they cooled.They've now planted their butts in the kitchen Hoping that one might accidentally drop. :tapfingers5rg: :tapfingers5rg: :tapfingers5rg:
  • 3 weeks later...
emmasmom

Picklepie baked them longer to dry them out. Just till they start to brown a little. This makes them store a little better also.

• 2 months later...
Toby the Lion Dog

Mmm, this recipe makes MY mouth water.
But then again, [i]somebody[/i] did eat all MY cookies so I'm a little cookie-deprived. :)

Next time we going shopping I'll be sure to pick up the ingredients we don't have.
Is it best to use a fruity baby food? Just making sure.