What to do in this situation? (long)

I got Tux Saturday from a family. Here is the story:

The woman posted him as a special needs dog for free on Craigslist.

I emailed & inquired about him & his "special needs".

She said that her eldest daughter had some friends that were going away & needed a babysitter for him. She agreed to watch the dog for a few days.

They sent only the dog. No vet records or food with him. Then the couple just disappeared & no one can find them. She didn't mind keeping him. She got him to the vet, signed him up for traing school. She said things were fine with him for a few days, then his behavoir started to change. She thought he might have been abused??? He was afraid of her husband, didn't like being leashed & was growling at her yougets (8 yr. old) daughter.

She also told me, she had a very busy household & alot of people in her house.

Behavoir issues like this do not bother me one bit. My German Shepherd was this way when I got her. We are not a very busy house, just me & my 14 yr. old. We get visitors every so ofetn, but alll are dog savy & listen to what I have to say about my dogs & training. It was obivious, when I 1st met this woman, she has a very kind heart, but knows nothing about little dogs.

She then told me how her 8 yr. old would tease him without realizing it. I know this is common for some kids. I am proud to say both my girls were taught doggie etiqued at very young ages. After she visited us with the dog.

Oh, I forgot to mention too. She said he was nuetered. Duh! Not! She also said he was 10 months. the vet records says 8 months???

Anyhoo, I had not heard from her in a few days. I called her & asked about the dog & she said her husband decided they were going to keep him & work thruogh his "issues".

I said OK, but if you change your mind, I would stiil be very interested.

2 days later she called & wanted me to come get him. That he was getting snappy with the 8 yr. old & then ran out onto a very busy street. I live on a not so busy country road. I had to wait a day & had to have her come to me. My 14 yr. old has Mono. When she showed up, she let him out. No Leash!

all kinds of food, because he is a "picky eater".

Before she left I asked her if I could keep her updated on how he is doing.

I think it is a responsible thing to do.

So I have emailed her on how he's doing & everything. She now wants to bring her 8 yr. old to visit him next week.

That kind of bothers me a bit. I am afraid she'd take him back. would anyone know what I should do??? are really bonding with him. He is so sweet natured. This is the email she sent me:

Quote:

Great news, I'll let the girls know. I told Chicky maybe we could visit next week. Its hard for them but we know its best. Chicky said lets give him one more chance. But we all know he's going to need to be away from small children for a while. Also you sound like your doing what's best. I don't doubt it about his ears. When he came it looked like a home hair cut down to the quick. Looked nasty. I'm also sure they've never groomed his toes and nails right. I've washed him alot and wiped his feet but the one time I tried to file his nails he flipped. I'm always so worried he's afraid that I stop. I'm sure with your experience you can help him and get it done.

Look forward to seeing his pictures soon.

Thanks for helping us feels secure he's ok too

I also wanted to add: I have many plans for him. I want to get him nuetered,

first & formost. That is very important to me. I also want to get an ILP on him. I love going/doing doggie events. I trialed my German Sherd in Herding, but failed. It was so much fun! The lady (my new pup)told me her trainer thought that he would do very well in agility. I might want to try that & see.

IMO he oes not have any issues to me. He's areally easy dog! Just not socialized very well & for the leash thing? He is doing fine. I don't think he was introduced to it properly.

boy... Well first of all any dog settling with new situations seeing ' past owners' even if just briefly is not a good idea. By having a dog come into a new house gives a chance to 'clear the slate' and lets the dog start new. Second of all, it seems like to me your household better fits the dogs than the situation the he had with her.

If it were me I would bow out of any visits from them. Tell them whatever you want- or if nothing else that he is settling in and would like him to view his new life without any past reminders and leave it at that.

I would be a little uneasy if it were me.did she give you anything in writing to prove that she was giving the dog to you.I wouldn't encourage her to come & see Tux,If she sees how nice & clean he looks,she might decide she wants him back & I dont think it would be in his best interest.She seems to go back & forth.I would tell her anything,but I wouldn't let her bring her 8 year old to see him.Its not fair on the little girl.besides I have a hard time believing that 8 year olds tease puppies unknowingly.I had 6 children & they were all taught like your two. the right way to treat animals.No I wouldn't let them have visitation if I were you.I think you would regret it.

Just take pictures and send to her, and then basically say, I talked to my trainer and they said its not good for him to see any part of previous past/owners due to the fact it could mess up the training.

I would just make something up lol But at least send pictures and then slowly just stop the emails.... if it was a breeder then I would say different but since you just got the dog for free and he was in bad coniditions, I wouldnt feel compelled to tell them anything. If nothing else just block her emails and if she's got your phone numbers just dont answer the calls, eventually she'll get the hint.

it may sound mean... but she should have provided a better home while she had him regardless of whether or not she thought he was special needs.

I agree. No visits. Tell her that your trainer advises against the dog being around children for quite a while during which time he will be retrained. Try not to have a relationship with her.

I agree. No visits. Tell her that your trainer advises against the dog being around children for quite a while during which time he will be retrained. Try not to have a relationship with her.

Agreed..

Thank you for all the replies. Much appreciated. I honestly do want to send pictures with the progress he will make. Just that visiting thing bothers me. I had nightmares with DaKota's previous family coming to take her back after a the work that I did with her. Thank goodness for my local ACO, who really wanted these people to try. I am on very good terms with my local ACO. Do you think too? If I get him him registered (which I will anyways) in my town? Will that show my ownership? He was not registered in thier town. As for the trainer thing? My bad. I told her that I am going to train him myself. For a long time now, I have been looking for a class that does not do treat or toy training. All the ones in my close area does it.

I tried 3 with DaKota. The instructers all wanted me to force Treats & toys on DaKota & she refuses them.

I found him to be the same. I wants my dogs to trust my hands & not think that I am punishing them.

Well, then, just lie, and tell her you changed your mind and realize you need a professional trainer with such a serious problem as biting of children. Some lies are completely just fine. This qualifies.

what kind of registry is it??

a dog license or an official club?

I thought "most" registries required that both mother and father be registered with them prior to puppy being registered. I know CKC doesnt do this, as you can register any mixed breed or purebred dog regardless, you just have to meet certain conditions.

Oh gee, I am sorry. A dog license is what I meant to say.

Ok. Yes, I do plan on registering him through the AKC. As soon as I can get him nuetered.

Yes, AKC can register a rescue with unknown parentage. DaKota is registered. It is a special registration

1. to prove responsible ownership.

2. to allow the purebred to compete in most events, except comfirmation.

I will have to look up the info.

The best part of it is, you have to send in pictures to show exactly what breed it is. When I do this, I am going to ask you all to help me decide which pictures to send in. :blush-anim-cl:

I think you might mean registering with the city??? We are supposed to license our pets with the city also and pay a fee, but most people don't.

I agree with telling her you needed a professional trainer. Sometimes white lies are warranted, you could even tell her he is worse with children than you thought and hence you call a professional. If she hears that she may think twice about wanting him back around her child....I don't like lies, but he is way better off with you and somehow that needs to stay. I don't even think I would send any updates and if in time she contacts you and inquires, just say, well it is slow, but he is making some progress, sorry, I forgot to update you and let it go and continue to not contact her. I think she and her child will forget if there is nothing to remind them and eventually will stop contacting you. At least, that is my opinion and how I would handle the situation. Just remember, you are the rescuer her and need to do all to maintain his rescue status which means you are now his MOM.....

We are all here for you with support anytime you need it. Good luck and congrats on your beautiful new furbaby. I LOVE the name.

Thank you all for the ideas & reassurance.

He will be getting his dog lisence definitley this week. He never was lisenced from what she told me.

I am not going to be in contact with her for a while & just leave it at that.

As soon as possible, I will get him nuetered also. I am not into the whole breeding thing.

I just want another loving dog to have fun with. :blush-anim-cl:

I just wanted to clarify the registry issue....this is quote from the AKC website.

"Enrollment in the Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege program is not to be construed as an alternative form of registration, but rather, as a listing so that dogs who are ineligible for AKC registration may participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events. A PAL/ILP may be cancelled for cause."

FairyTail Josette

The woman you speak of does not sound mentally stable to me. A dog IS not only our responsibility, but, our child we take care of and protect. Tux needs to feel safe and secure with you and your family only, now. Something in my gut tells me that you should not trust this woman. You have to do what is in Tux's best interest.

Oh gee, I am sorry. A dog license is what I meant to say.

Ok. Yes, I do plan on registering him through the AKC. As soon as I can get him nuetered.

Yes, AKC can register a rescue with unknown parentage. DaKota is registered. It is a special registration

1. to prove responsible ownership.

2. to allow the purebred to compete in most events, except comfirmation.

I will have to look up the info.

The best part of it is, you have to send in pictures to show exactly what breed it is. When I do this, I am going to ask you all to help me decide which pictures to send in. :signthankspin:

Limited listing priveledge is a great idea. To those that do not know, its a way to be able, as stated ability to compete in events ( except conformation).

As far as giving legit to your ownership, I would start with the license. That lists you as the owner also the one paying the " tax" for the license. And if it were me, I would do it now even if not neutered and you have to pay a little more. I would also keep pointing out if you have to have contact of how you are able to have the dog avoid children etc. This will remind her of the original reason for the placement.

Yes this woman seems quite odd to me. I don't have a good feeling about her, and definitely no visits.

Well, then, just lie, and tell her you changed your mind and realize you need a professional trainer with such a serious problem as biting of children. Some lies are completely just fine. This qualifies.

I agree a white lie isn't going to hurt under these circumstances.  Good luck, I hope it all works out for him.