Rescuing a puppy

Leolove

Hello everyone~ its been awhile!  

Anyone have experience in rescuing a puppy?  I am still looking for Joey's brother and I saw some puppies up for adoption on a rescue site.  They are not sure if they are 100% Shih Tzus and the mommy came from a very horrible environment.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. as always :)

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Many of us here have adopted puppies and adult dogs (and kittens and cats!) from rescue groups and have also volunteered extensively doing rescue work.  Let us know any specific questions you have.  Do you know anything about the mother's environment?

• Like 4
Leolove

Thank you for your reply!! :)

They rescued 15-16 dogs from an abandoned house.  All living in the backyard in filth.  Think the POS rented the house and left the dogs when he/she moved out.  I saw pictures and their conditions were so bad.. they said probably never been groomed before.  Few of them were expecting puppies and had them recently.

Guess I'm wondering if I should be expecting any health issues.  Anything different I should be prepared for if I do get my application accepted.   I don't care if they are not 100% Shih tzus or if they require extra medical attention...just want a heads up if that makes sense.  

I don't think Joey will do well with an adult rescue so I never really looked before.  He's been socializing with my aunts new puppy this year and been adjusting well so I thought I can rescue a baby and finally find a brother for Joey as well.

• Like 5
Marlene

Is there more than one litter of puppies old enough for adoption?  How old are the ones you're interested in?

• Like 4
Leolove
10 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Is there more than one litter of puppies old enough for adoption?  How old are the ones you're interested in?

Think 3 of them had puppies.. I don't know too much about doggy pregnancies but think one of the mothers wasn't even a year old yet.. :(

Most of them are 8 weeks now and they are ready to go at 10 weeks.  Supposed to get an email back between 2-4 weeks.  

• Like 4
Pawz4me

So the dogs were rescued before they gave birth?  My guess is the puppies will be fine.  Fortunately or unfortunately, most often nature works to make sure developing fetuses get priority access to nutrients even when it means depriving the mother.  The mama dogs are likely the ones who suffered the most.  And if the puppies were born while in rescue I would assume they've been getting lots of socialization and should have been getting regular vet checks.  A good rescue group will work with you to help match you up with the best puppy for you and Joey.

• Like 4
Marlene

I agree with Pawz.....if they have been in rescue since birth they are getting the care and socialization they need.

I have a couple of stories to share:

I have been in Boxer Rescue for many years and more recently in Shih Tzu rescue.

I remember a litter of Boxer mix puppies whose owner was a ranch hand and was arrested.  The arresting officer noticed the dog and litter of puppies.  It was about 2 weeks before he came back to check and the Mama and litter was still there with no one taking care of them.  Obviously Mama was finding food and water somewhere as they had survived with her nursing the pups.  He scooped them all up and brought them to a local shelter where Boxer rescue split them up (they were old enough).  I took one female.  The first stop for me was at the vet where she was found to be anemic from flea infestation.  It was the first time I ever saw CAPSTAR used and it was a miracle watching dead fleas fall off by the dozens.  She was also dehydrated and given Sub cutaneous fluids before I took her home.

It was obvious she'd never been in a home or had interaction w/people.  She immediately bonded with my adult male Boxer, Mack.  She was afraid of the TV, the microwave, the vacuum, hairdryer......me.  When she moved from hiding she walked as close to the walls as she could.  It took about 2 weeks of me feeding her by hand, finding completely quiet times to sit near her and eventually hold her for her to become "civilized to me and a home.  But then she decided *I* was her comfort and she would scream bloody murder if I was out of her sight.   It took another 2 weeks of babygating her into a room with me on the other side....ignoring her wails....walking past, giving a pat, maybe a treat and some words, sitting and reading where she could see me or hear me talking on the phone before she got it "Mama comes back, she always comes back."  She was very very smart and picked up things from Mack very quickly.  We think her Boxer Mama mated with a ranch dog - probably an Australian Cattle Dog.  Of all the puppies I've fostered she was the one I wanted most to keep....because of her emotional needs and bonded so tightly with me.

She was adopted by a vet tech who had several obedience trained cats!  She was always aloof, wanted to hide and not very social but as I said she was VERY smart and went on to do agility where she excelled.

My Shorty G is a Shih Tzu rescue - he was my first task for the rescue.  I was supposed to go to the shelter, pull him and transport to the rescue vet for care, then he would go into a foster home.  He had been seized by Animal Control from a hoarder - I was told he'd always been crated.  To make a long story shorter, I ended up keeping him overnight because of getting caught in commmute traffic.  My husband completely blindsided me when he said "let's keep him"!

He was of good weight but covered with fleas and ticks and sores/hot spots - he is extremely allergic to fleas.  His ears were full of waxy residue and a heavy mite infestation.  His fur a dirty, tangled, matted mess.

It took me about a month to get him healthy, healing all the sores, getting rid of ear mites, fleas and worms.  In the beginning he was biting almost anyone who touched him  -  even me once in awhile.  I was told by smarter people than me he was "guarding me" but I just didn't think so........it took about a year but now he approaches people for affection, lets the vet handle him and recently got a glowing report from the groomer about how good he is.  I think he was "fear biting" because he was never used to being touched by humans.  Shih Tzus are very smart but I think they hold a grudge - if they have not been well treated it takes a long time to gain confidence.

I don't know how old he is....he came from the shelter with two different estimates.  One said 7 months, one said 2 years.  I think he was somewhere in the middle.

Sometime after that I was asked to help with a seizure, closer to where I live.  I think we handled 23 dogs the first day.  In a few days they started having puppies - 3-4 litters with some of the pups being stillborn.  Everyone ended up getting adopted, even the old seniors but it took a long time (obviously we had to wait for the puppies to reach 8 weeks) before we started accepting applications.

As for me I would be so tickled if you brought one of those dogs home.  Puppies are always quickly adopted.....so my heart always goes out to the adult dogs who haven't had a good life so far.  But you know what will work best for you and your family.

Kepp us in the loop.....OK?

• Like 4
Missysmom

How exciting you're thinking of adopting a rescue! Missy is a rescue and she was one of those mamas who had babies while she herself was still a baby. Very sad and my heart too always goes out the mamas. Our last Shepard was abandoned when she got 'pregnant', of course all of her babies were adopted right away, she recuperated was spayed and then put up for adoption herself. She was one of the most gentle and loving pups we've ever had and Missy is too! :) 

I can only say that in my experience with adopting rescues I have actually had less health problems, may have just been a coincidence but especially if they are in a rescue now they should all being getting the care they need. At least the rescue organizations we have used have always been very up front about any known health issues so I wouldn't think you would have any surprises.

Please keep us posted!! 

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

Thank you for considering taking in a RESCUE. Out of my 7.......6 are rescues. Knowing nothing of their background other than they were abandon and abused.   Lexie I took in as a puppy from a backyard breeder.... the scum of the earth backyard breeder and once she got updated on her shots and proper food and care she is fine......the only issue that I have had with her is her teeth.  I have a couple with skin allergies but finding the right foods took care of that problem. My Bailey has seizures but they have been getting less frequent from having a change in diet. The rescues that I have dealt with do great medical care before the paw is adopted. Now in Bailey case his seizures started 2 years after he came here to live. This could happen in any dog......... rescue or purchased from a breeder. Getting a puppy after the mother dog was rescued I don't really see a problem but keep in mind that anything is possible and be prepared for the unknown.  These little paws just want love and attention and that is what we as humans should do.........I wish you the best. I am curious is this rescue doing a home visit before okaying your adoption request?  My suggestion is to take the time and do a lot of research......even reading post from this forum to be prepared and there are people here with LOTS of experience that are more than willing to answer any questions to help you...........we all love our paws!!!!

• Like 4
Leolove

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and sharing your thoughts and stories! 

I have been looking on that site numerous times a day for almost a year now trying to see if I can rescue instead of purchasing. Their stories break my heart and I cried when I saw their pictures when they were rescued.  They do have dogs that are older that I would love to take on if I didn't have a full time job and Joey was comfortable around them.  They only had older dogs until recently.  Heck I would take them all if I could.  Some of them require a dog free home, someone to be home with them all day..etc.  Something that I just can't do right now.  I do have a flexible work schedule and my mom is retired and stays at home and is with Joey all day.  But she does not think she can take on an older dog with a broken heart.  Believe me I tried to convince her gazillion times.. :(

The mommies did have their babies after they were rescued.. seems like the foster parents are taking good care of them all.  They do require a home visit if my application gets approved.  Also had to give my vet information.  I would love to give a home to one of them even if its not an older dog.

• Like 6
Marlene

Just FYI  -  the adoption donation for rescue dogs is often as much as BYB's charge.  The Boxer Rescue and the Shih Tzu rescue I work with both charge $300 to $500 for a dog.  Keep in mind it will be fully vetted  -  vaccs, spay/neuter, microchipped and many, many times hundreds if not thousands of dollars have been spent on illness or injuries.

Also keep in mind there will be another grooming bill as well as more vet bills.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you things to think about (which you probably already have.)

• Like 2
Leolove
7 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Just FYI  -  the adoption donation for rescue dogs is often as much as BYB's charge.  The Boxer Rescue and the Shih Tzu rescue I work with both charge $300 to $500 for a dog.  Keep in mind it will be fully vetted  -  vaccs, spay/neuter, microchipped and many, many times hundreds if not thousands of dollars have been spent on illness or injuries.

Also keep in mind there will be another grooming bill as well as more vet bills.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you things to think about (which you probably already have.)

Thank you for the FYI~  Yup.. $400 for this rescue group for an adoption for a puppy.  I am probably going to add a little bit to that for a donation.  I groom Joey myself and I'm free so that one is covered :)  I am financially able to cover any other costs so I hope they consider me!  Rather spend the same $ or even more to a rescue group instead of a BYB if possible.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
ParadiseTzu

Would love to know if you have been approved?

• Like 7
Leolove

Feeling a bit discouraged.. :(

Haven't heard anything back yet... it does say I will get an email even if I get rejected so I'm patiently waiting.

• Like 3
Marlene

I know.......

Everyone is a volunteer, most of them have jobs, families and dogs of their own as well as fosters.  Don't be afraid to contact them again.  Granted sometimes they think you're a pain in the neck.....sometimes they realize you are very serious and may have slipped through the cracks.

• Like 6
Leolove
22 minutes ago, Marlene said:

I know.......

Everyone is a volunteer, most of them have jobs, families and dogs of their own as well as fosters.  Don't be afraid to contact them again.  Granted sometimes they think you're a pain in the neck.....sometimes they realize you are very serious and may have slipped through the cracks.

Thank you.. I really needed that.  I actually submitted an application back in January when they posted first set of puppies from that rescue and didn't get a response back.  Few days later those puppies were gone from that page.  Then they posted new set of puppies first week of March so I applied again.  Puppies are still there but no reply yet.  They posted a new set of puppies yesterday so I applied again and added an apology if I am annoying them to death by now.  I did try emailing few times when I didn't hear back from them after my first application.  Didn't get anything back. 

Will try to be patient for another week and then bug them again.. 

• Like 5
PipsMom

Have you checked your spam email box? Maybe a response got sent there by mistake...hoping so for your sake. Give them a ring, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain 

• Like 5
Leolove
1 hour ago, PipsMom said:

Have you checked your spam email box? Maybe a response got sent there by mistake...hoping so for your sake. Give them a ring, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain 

Been checking inbox, spam box, junk box religiously but nothing :( they don't have a phone number to call either.  Just very discouraged.  Hope they will give me some response good or bad.  Will wait it out few more weeks and then I might have to look for a reputable breeder instead.

• Like 5
Missysmom

OH wow, I'd be upset too. Did they send a confirmation that they received your application(s) at least? I know there were several I applied for before we got Missy and I never ever heard from them, super discouraging. But I guess, in a good way, this way you know for sure when it's the 'right' one. And I know without a doubt your perfect pup is out there just waiting for you! Keeping you in my prayers that you find your perfect pup soon. Hugs.:throb:

• Like 5
Leolove
12 hours ago, Missysmom said:

OH wow, I'd be upset too. Did they send a confirmation that they received your application(s) at least? I know there were several I applied for before we got Missy and I never ever heard from them, super discouraging. But I guess, in a good way, this way you know for sure when it's the 'right' one. And I know without a doubt your perfect pup is out there just waiting for you! Keeping you in my prayers that you find your perfect pup soon. Hugs.:throb:

Yes I received confirmation each time.  Maybe they have more qualified applicants than me.  Would really help if I knew either way so I can plan my next option.  Would've loved to help a little one find a home instead of purchasing but at least I tried.  I'm sure they are super busy also and like Marlene mentioned they are all volunteers so I will wait it out few more weeks.  Thank you for your support!  Means so much~~ I was feeling so frustrated. HUGS!!

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

I feel your frustration.......when I first applied for a rescue I never heard back from them. Waited a couple of weeks and called the number that was listed on the site and the dog I was inquiring about had already been adopted. Due to the fact that they are volunteers they don't  have the time to call everyone back to inform them the dog has been adopted.  I have been told it is first come first served and if it is like it is here people come out of the wood work to send in applications when it is a puppy mill raid......due to all the publicity in the news/papers.  There are a lot of rescues listed on Petfinders.  and within your  area that you could take a look at also. There are a lot of Shih Tzu out there looking for a forever home............Along with our Sophie who was purchased from a breeder  I have been blessed with 6 rescues ........ I did start out as a foster mom but adopted that little fellow and it went from there to 5 more. They are like potato chips you can't just have one...............

• Like 6